Sunday, October 27, 2019

Savage Worlds Adventure Edition Review

Late in September I picked up a hardcover copy of the Savage Worlds Adventure Edition RPG; I've finally finished reading it and am ready to write a review.

-Nate



Savage Worlds Adventure Edition Review
Last month I finally picked up a hardcover copy of this new RPG, and wanted to share my thoughts about it.
  • I like the size of the book. As a graphic-novel-sized hardcover, it matches my book for The Sixth Gun campaign setting.
  • The added comments, by a GM and the players Emily and Nate, are a fun touch.
  • The Skills section did a nice job of cleaning up some overlap, especially with the Knowledge skills. Also, the fact that all characters start with d4 in Athletics, Common Knowledge, Notice, Persuasion and Stealth opens up points for other choices.
  • There are some interesting new Edges, too, and the use of the social ones seems clearer than it was in the previous edition.
  • I like the flexibility that's encouraged for character advancement, with suggestions for faster or slower character development.
  • The same goes for the use of Bennies to affect the story.
  • The Power modifiers provide a good means of letting characters with arcane backgrounds adapt the Powers they invoke for specific situations.
  • As before, the Game Mastering section provides a solid overview of how to plan and run adventures and campaigns using these rules.

All in all, this is a solid, compact game that I would recommend for all manner of campaign settings and styles.

No comments:

Post a Comment