Monday, March 26, 2018

Arabella and the Battle of Venus Review





Arabella and the Battle of Venus by David D. LeVine
Given how much I enjoyed this novel's predecessor, I was still surprised to see how quickly this one followed it. After a bit of doing, I have finished reading it; my thoughts are broken down below.

Pros
  • This novel brings back numerous characters that I enjoyed from the previous novel; among them are Arabella, of course, along with Captain Singh and various crewmen from aboard the Diana. It also introduces a fun rascal, in Captain Fox, and expands the roles of Mills and Lady Corey.
  • We have a chance to explore the planet Venus, too.
  • The climax to which it builds is quite exciting, reminding me of the Battle of Yavin in Star Wars.

Cons
  • In Arabella of Mars, the fact that our heroine was traveling aboard a ship disguised as a boy made for lots of tension and drama, and from early in the story. This one takes along to build to that kind of engagement.
  • As a caveat, though, I'll say that, while the first novel hit its peak for me with a good deal of story left to go, this one saves the best for the end.

Additional Notes
  • There are still plenty of interesting elements left to explore in this story's universe, especially Captain Singh's background and the exact nature of Aadim, the automaton navigator.




No comments:

Post a Comment