Interlude 52: The Circumnavigation
At some point during their piratical careers, the PC's could find themselves in a position to try circumnavigating the globe. Although this is a daunting task, it carries a certain amount of prestige for those who do it. It also, needless to say, presents many good opportunities for exotic encounters and other challenges.
Making the Trip
When it comes to outfitting for a voyage such as this, the GM would do well to consult the article "Dehydration and Starvation" to find guidelines for monitoring a vessel's supply of food and fresh water. Should the crew run short of these provisions, they begin to suffer the ill effects detailed in that article. What is more, this gives them excellent incentive to make landfall in strange, unknown places in order to resupply.
Navigation is also an important concern. Refer to page 22 of the Skull & Bones rulebook to find guidelines for using the Knowledge: navigation skill.
Locations, Locations, Locations
Presented here is a key with details regarding the areas noted on the map.
1. Refer to the Skull & Bones rulebook, along with the article "Settlements of the Spanish Main" in Buccaneers & Bokor Issue 6, for more information regarding the Caribbean Sea and the Spanish Main. Moreover, any of the adventures not mentioned below are set in this region.
2. Refer to the article "The Mediterranean Sea and Algiers" for more information about this area; additionally, the scenarios "Treacherous Waters" and "The Eye of the Storm" take place here.
3. Suggested hazards and encounters for the Cape of Good Hope are presented in the scenario "The Ends of the Earth."
4. The adventure "Above and Below" presents a long-lost Chinese treasure cache and a tribe of natives that can be found here.
5. The article "London Town" provides an overview of that famous city.
6. Refer to the article "Cape Coast Castle" and the scenario "Into the Shadows" for details about the outpost to be found here.
Links to Other Interludes
For one thing, the GM could easily drop other interludes on the party during this lengthy voyage. Good options here include "The Hazards," "The Shipwrecker," "The Timingila," "The Storm" and "The Storm 2." Members of the crew might create some of the actions, such as is described in "The Competition 2" or "The Jonah." There could always be an unexpected passenger aboard the ship, too, such as in "The Stowaway."
Finally, it should be noted that characters who successfully perform this task should be granted the benefits of the Been-Round fortune--that is, a +2 insight bonus to all Knowledge (sea lore), Profession (sailor) and Swim checks.